Sunday, January 25, 2009

One of my fave Austin bands of the moment... The Tiny Tin Hearts

On the advice of a fellow Austinite whose musical taste I trust (you know who you are!), I went to check out The Tiny Tin Hearts last Friday night at Emo's. Got there in time to see Silver Pines open - In my opinion, interesting but not magical. The Tiny Tin Hearts, on the other hand, were fun, unique, and tinged with a little magic as well.

Eight musicians with a combination of instruments - a trombone, keyboard, french horn, bass, violin, cello, and guitar, and drum kit along with the occasional banjo, trumpet, and lap steel - came together to create orchestral pop sometimes infused with bluegrass to remind listeners they're from Austin. Exuberant and charming with a magnetic pull, I was drawn in from the first song.

Their next few shows are at Thunderbird Coffee with Alameda Drive (Jan 30th) and Momo's with Warren Hood opening (Feb 7th). They are a must-see live!

No comments: